Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cruisen Part 1

Wow! What an awesome vacation we had! I am going to try to keep this post as short as possible, so I am going to split my trip into a few different posts.

We started out in Miami where we spent a sleepless night in the worst hotel ever! The sheets were filthy, the toilet ran all night, and the shower didn't even work. To add to the experience, we had a room with 4 beds, so all my sisters and spouses slept in the same room. Of course there was never a manager to complain to. We now look back and laugh, but it wasn't pleasant.

We left the hotel ASAP and were able to get on the ship early. This was the most beautiful ship I have ever seen!!! The Freedom of the Sea had everything you could imagine, and then some. It was so nice to have a clean room and someone to wait on your every need. Our waitress, Alicia, was from Trinidad and was awesome! We ate sooo much food. Alicia was really good at bringing out extra plates of food so we could sample everything. We ate everything from escargots, to prime rib, to banana cream pie. Clay and I even got to eat with the captain at his table one night.


The first 2 days we took a class to certify in SCUBA. It was a lot of work, but very fun! Our instructor was so good and patient with us. It took quite a few hours in the pool to pass off all our skills, but we did it! Unfortunately, when we got to St. Maarten to do our two open water dives, the visibility was too poor to dive. Clay and I were able to go down about 25 feet before they called off the dive. Even though I couldn't see anything, it was really cool to be down there.Here is our instructor, Jorge. He was from Venezuela. He hopes to open his own dive shop one day, and I hope to be able to go and dive with him again. Our last day training in the pool, he saved a baby that fell into the pool. It was amazing how fast he reacted. Amy and Jeron gave him a Book of Mormon our last night on the boat. We all hope to keep in touch with him.Our first port was in Puerto Rico. We got in late in the afternoon and the weather was not very good, so this was not my favorite stop. We were able to walk around and see some cool sites. We went up to this cool old "castle" and got a great view. After we just wandered around and shopped. There was a lady who sold the most beautiful jewelry, and very well priced too. I think all of us got at least one piece from her.

6 comments:

Parsons Family Fun said...

fun, fun, I want to go on another cruise someday. How did your kids do with you gone?

Skinner Family said...

My kids did great, I can't say the same for the babysitters :)

Tricia said...

It sounds like you had a great time. You look great!!!

Melissa said...

Looks like you had so much fun. I agree with you that Miami is not that great. We went to South Beach and I thought it was dirty and more for young singles. I saw your pictures on Facebook too. You and your sisters are all so pretty. You guys look great. How fun to get to spend time with your family without kids.

Jense Family said...

Looks like you all have a great time:)

Jaymie said...

Hey just found you and am so excited!! Bailey was soooooo good for me, I miss her so much. Thanks for thinking of us and letting us help. Glad to see you had a great time!!